Magnetic reed switches and sensors from Reed Switch Developments Corp. serve as versatile components within Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVACR) systems applications providing precise control, monitoring, position sensing, overflow detection, and other safety measures.
They are routinely used to help to ensure the efficient and optimal operations of HVACR systems by detecting refrigerant levels, air flow, condensate, damper positions, condensate levels. They also play vital roles in HVACR filter monitoring, ventilation control, pressure sensing, and. By incorporating the magnetic reed switches and sensors offered by Reed Switch Developments Corp. into their new and existing designs, manufacturers and aftermarket repair shops can help to enhance overall HVACR system performance, energy efficiency, and overall reliability, as well as ensure optimal indoor comfort and air quality for a variety of residential, commercial, and industrial HVACR systems applications.
Here are the Top 11 most common customer applications for Reed Switch Developments Corp. magnetic reed switches, sensors and actuators within HVACR systems applications, both OEM and aftermarket:
1. Refrigerant Level Sensing: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be used within HVACR equipment refrigerant level systems, such as those most commonly found within air conditioners and refrigeration units, to both sense the presence or absence of refrigerant and to provide feedback to the system controller. This allows for more accurate refrigerant level monitoring, while further helping to prevent such issues as insufficient cooling or compressor damage arising from low refrigerant levels.
2. Weatherproof Control Systems: When enclosed within weatherproof casings, or when their designs are specified with non-ferrous materials of construction, magnetic reed switches can be actuated with the help of external magnetic actuators. This helps to keep sensitive and delicate HVACR system electronics and mechanisms better protected from the elements.
3. Air Flow Monitoring: In HVACR systems, magnetic reed switches and sensors can be employed with rotational magnetic actuators for air flow monitoring. By installing the magnetic reed switch inside of the air ducts as the actuator turns, the sensor can detect airflow movement, as well as to provide feedback on airflow rates. This information can be used for HVACR systems and equipment airflow regulation, filter monitoring, and energy efficiency optimization. For example, if airflow drops below a certain threshold, the magnetic reed switch can trigger alerts for filter replacement or system maintenance needs.
4. HVACR Damper Position Sensing: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be used to sense damper position within HVACR systems. By placing the magnetic reed switch in strategic locations, such as near damper actuators, the reed switch can reliably detect the open or closed position of the damper, and further enabling the precise control of air distribution as needed for effective HVACR system zone control and energy management.
5. HVACR System Condensate Overflow Detection: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be utilized to detect condensate overflow in HVACR systems, such as air conditioners or dehumidifiers. By installing the reed switch and pairing it together with a magnetic float-type actuator, at the desired level within the condensate pan or drain line, it can sense the presence of water and provide feedback to the control system. This helps prevent damage caused by overflow and ensures efficient removal of condensate.
6. Fan and Blower Control: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can also be integrated into fan and blower control circuits. By sensing the rotational speed of the fan blades, the reed switch can provide feedback for speed regulation or on/off control. This allows for efficient and precise control of HVACR systems ventilation and air circulation.
7. Access Panel/Maintenance Hatch Open/Close Detection: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be used to detect and signal whether access panels and maintenance hatches have been properly secured before allowing the HVACR system to operate.
8. HVACR System Status Indication: Magnetic reed switches can be employed within various electronic and mechanical sub-assemblies to provide status indication in HVACR systems. By sensing specific conditions, such as freeze/thaw, power on/off, system faults, or mode changes, the reed switch can provide feedback to control panels or user interfaces, allowing for real-time monitoring and system diagnostics.
9. Air Filter and Critical Component Presence Detection: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be utilized to detect whether air filters and other critical components are present and properly installed in HVACR systems. For example, by attaching a magnet to the filter frame and placing the reed switch nearby, the switch can detect and signal the presence of the filter. This can ensure that the system is operated safely, with optimal system performance and the best possible air quality.
10. Air Ventilation Control: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be integrated into ventilation systems to monitor and control the flow of fresh air. By placing reed switches near ventilation dampers or louvers, they can detect the position of the airflow control mechanisms. This enables precise control of ventilation rates, allowing for optimal air exchange and indoor air quality management in HVACR systems.
11. Air and Refrigerant Pressure Level Sensing: Magnetic reed switches and sensors can be used within HVACR systems pressure sensing applications. By incorporating them into pressure switches or transducers, the sensors and switches can reliably monitor and detect air or refrigerant pressure levels. This information can be used for system control, safety monitoring, or troubleshooting to ensure efficient and reliable HVACR systems operation.
Reed Switch Developments Corp. offers hundreds of standard and custom magnetic reed switch and sensor solutions for the support of HVACR systems, and including SPST, SPDT, and NO or NC contact configurations. They are available with a choice of available wattages ranging from 0.25W to 100W, as well as in aluminum, stainless steel, or brass housing materials. We also can provide a comprehensive selection of case materials, such as Celanex, Celcon, Lexan, Epoxy, and Valox, for more extreme HVACR applications.
In addition, our custom-designed actuators are designed to seamlessly pair with our magnetic reed switches, and with a varied selection of permanent magnet types. The magnets, including custom-molded options, may also be tailored to meet specific mounting and operational needs. We also provide flexible wire and cabling options, along with popular insulating materials in 18-26 AWG sizes, as well as with choice from among a variety of connectors, including AMP, Molex, JST, Package, threaded, weather-sealed, snap lock, and lug types.
The team at Reed Switch Developments Corp., can also produce custom magnetic reed switch, sensor, and actuator solutions for HVACR systems in shorter lead times than can be found elsewhere among today’s industry standard models. In addition, all of our standard and custom products are 100% designed, developed, and assembled in the USA at our WBE-certified facility in Racine, Wisconsin.